The chocolate mousse is a quintessential favorite among chocolate lovers.
The elegant and silky feel of the chocolate melting in your mouth is breathtaking and elevating.
The chocolate mousse can be served up in cakes and other tarts but the silk chocolate mousse is best eating in parfait glasses or wine glasses with a nice dollop of whipped cream, chocolate garnishing and strawberries.
- 4 ½ oz/135gms bittersweet chocolate, cut into small pieces
- 2 tbsp/28gms unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
- 2 tbsp strong coffee or espresso (optional)
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp / 60gms granulated white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) heavy whipping cream
- In a bowl whisk egg yolks and sugar and let it sit
- Whip the egg white in a separate bowl till it is foamy
- In another bowl whip the heavy cream and vanilla extract until soft peaks are forms and refrigerate
- Over a double broiler melt the chocolate and gradually add butter and coffee to it.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool till the chocolate is warm
- When the chocolate is just slightly warmer than room temperature, slowly add in the egg yolks and one-third of the whipped cream.
- Fold the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to lighten it and mix it gradually and fully and finally add all of the whipped cream
Take mounds of the mouse and place them in individual wine glasses or parfait glasses to be served with a dollop of whipped cream and shredded chocolate.